When I eat out I want it to be special, consequently I don?t eat out often. You could have seen the advice on how to shave calories at restaurants but really, do you need to pay high restaurant charges for undressed salads and plain steamed vegetables? Or even, how then can you solve the dilemma of too many calories when you eat out?
Here are seven tips for obtaining the calories out of restaurant meals while still ordering your favorites.
1. Say NO to super sizing. The size you ordered is already too large. Stop super sizing and you?ll save money. Better still, order one dinner and have for an extra plate. Many restaurants can do this for a dollar or two, also it?s well worth it. Then share the meal together with your friend and you split the price straight down the middle. Another option is to order from the so called ?appetizer? menu. Two different people could order three entrees, one dessert and split the whole thing and it?s still a huge amount of food!
2. Miss the bread and rolls. Many family restaurants still serve a bread basket together with your meal. Unless it?s a fresh baked loaf or some really special bread, just skip it. You don?t need to fill on ordinary bread once you?re paying good money for meals. Just ask for it to be studied away if you can?t resist, but in all honesty, you?re an adult, it is possible to resist, if you want to. You can simply choose not to put a roll on your own plate. Try it, only once and see if you don?t walk out of that restaurant feeling strangely powerful.
If you can?t miss the rolls, at least miss the butter. That?s right. Eat purima . Wholegrain bread is delicious simply by itself.
3. Stop Ordering Drinks. Soft drinks are a huge cash cow for restaurants. For pennies they sell you a squirt of syrup and carbonated water and act like they?re doing you a big favor by only charging you $1.29 for a huge 64 ounce soda. Start saving those dollars. Especially if you?re ordering ?to go? skip the drink. If you?re consuming it there, ask for water, or at least switch to diet drinks. Never drink ?fat pop.?
4. Slow Down You Eat Too Fast! What?s the rush? Invest some time, savor the moment, enjoy the flavors. A big section of phoning your hunger signals and learning to eat what really will satisfy is understanding how to recognize the subtle signs of hunger. You won?t know when you?re approaching satisfaction in the event that you?ve gobbled everything down in five minutes. Take a bite then notice just how many times do you chew before you begin wanting to swallow? Once, twice? Make an effort to chew your food and your body will be notably happier. A very large part of digestion begins in your mouth, not forgetting you?ll get a lot more pleasure if you allow food linger.
5. Trim Visible Fat and Skin. I know, you really love the skin?needless to say you do, it tastes good, it will, it?s pure fat. Do you wish to get leaner, or do you want to eat fat? You choose. I never eat chicken skin rather than eat the visible fat hanging off a steak, good taste or no. You need to decide what you want more, the second?s worth of pleasure of a yummy taste, or perhaps a lifetime of carrying around a supplementary 40 lbs? I know that is counter to the reduced carb crowd?s belief that fat is good, carbs are evil, but I?ve maintained an 80 pound weight reduction for 18 years without dieting and I don?t eat visible fat or skin. Enough said.
6. Ask for a Doggie Bag at the Beginning of Meal. When the food is served, immediately portion off some to collect for tomorrow. Most restaurants in the US serve way too much. There is no law you have to eat it all. Do that frequently and soon you?ll find you?re getting a supplementary lunch out of that meal.
7. Get a copy of Restaurant Confidential by Michael F. Jacobson and Jayne Hurley, and start checking out just how many calories you?re really eating. If you eat out frequently and you also carry extra weight, then that?s most likely the problem there. This little book may help you realize why it seems you don?t eat that much yet it is possible to?t lose any weight. Hardees recently introduced a new burger that clocks in at just under 1200 calories simply by itself! Now that?s frightening.
If you really want to get a handle on your weight problem, look first to where you eat, second at what you eat, and third how much you eat. Where, What and How Much? Try these steps choosing one tip at the same time, and see how easily you can take a few of the calories out of restaurant food.